Lazy Luddite Log

29.3.06

Advertising

Sometimes I think there is an advertising agent in my mind. Stupid advertising slogans will just come to me. Here is one.

Mocha - The power of coffee with the pleasure of chocolate!

Sometimes I go further and conceive of products whose design is dictated by a particular advertising slogan (the reverse of common sense). Consider this.

The mission statement of Herevale Shopping Plaza can be conveyed in just three short words: Fun... Food... Fashion... We have even designed the Herevale Shopping Plaza so that it becomes the living embodiment of this philosophy! Three distinct arcades form a huge triangular formation. Each arcade is filled with specialty shops dedicated to one of the three pillars of the Herevale Shopping Plaza mission: Fun... Food... Fashion... Then at the three intersections of the arcades we have a cinema and food court (Fun Meets Food) a supermarket (Food Meets Fashion) and a department store (Fashion Meets Fun). At Herevale Shopping Plaza you the customer can always find what you want - just say "Fun... Food... Fashion..."

Phew! I can almost feel a tiny pony-tail growing at the back of my scalp. Gotta go get some scissors. But joking aside yes it looks like I have been exposed to a lot of advertising in my life. And yet it has fallen far short of its function of driving my consumption. I'm a better browser than I am a shopper. Some seem to think advertisers are practically mesmerists but for me the biggest con they ever pulled was in convincing us of that very assertion. Deny them and the magic falls away.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home