Lazy Luddite Log

25.11.05

The Intimidation of Weblogs

I find the concept of web logs intimidating. Or at any rate the way it was originally described to me was intimidating. The conversation went something like this...

IT Geek: So do you have a blog yet?

Luddite: What's a blog?

IT Geek: A web log.

Luddite: And what is a web log?

IT Geek: It's like a personal journal but on-line so all your friends can look at it and make comments!

Luddite: What a truly disturbing notion! I have a journal - a handwritten one mind you - and its personal.

IT Geek: But with a blog you can make sure all your friends are up-to-date with what is happening in your life. it frees you from the need to have all those boring "what have you done lately" conversations at parties.

Luddite: Well there may be something in that...

Actually my handwritten journal is hardly very personal. Expanded musings on my life and how I am feeling are very rare. It is mostly just a rudimentary sequence of "did this then did that and then did the other". And keeping it up-to-date is a bit of a chore. I may bring it to a close (I started it in December 1990)! I could just start stockpiling my 'paper palmtops'. What are they? A4 sheets of paper with a calendar drawn onto them so I can keep track of what is happening. They are more compact than a palm pilot and never need recharging!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Hi Daniel,

    Thank you for stopping by my blog today! I enjoyed reading your site as well. And, I especially appreciate the alliteration in its name.

    You’ve hit the nail on the head when it comes to learning knew technologies. If we could all just pick up new gadgets and put them to use right away, the world would be a better place. And I’m sure I’d get a lot more use out of my iPod.

    Definitely please stop in again! And, I know that the people who read my site would love to hear more about life in Australia.

    Take care,
    Kathy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 15 August, 2007  

  • Thanks for stopping by Kathy. We luddites-on-line have gotta stick together. Thanks also for finding the best entry for your comment.

    The alliteration was a big thing in making me decide on the name.

    By Blogger Dan, At 16 August, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home